Connect with us

NFL

Bucs to use franchise tag on Donovan Smith for 2019 season

Published

on

Photo: Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports

According to reports, The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have decided to use the franchise tag on left tackle Donovan Smith just days before the March 5th deadline. The deal will make him the fourth highest paid in the NFL at his position, which adds up to a total of $14.067 million for the 2019 season.

Beyond that, his future for the team is still in question despite the hope that both sides can agree on a long-term extension. Buccaneers GM Jason Licht danced around the question when asked about Donovan’s contract situation at the NFL combine last week.

“I don’t envision Donovan Smith being anywhere else but with the Bucs, at least for next year,” said general manager Jason Licht

The 25-year old, who was selected 34th overall in the 2015 NFL Draft, has yet to miss a game in his professional career and has started for the team in all 64 of his appearances.

Football

Golden Tate has his appeal denied, will be suspended for first four games of 2019 NFL season

Published

on

It’s official. The New York Giants will be without one of their receivers to start the 2019 NFL season.

The league announced that they have denied Golden Tate’s appeal to reverse his four-game suspension after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs earlier this year.

Therefore, the 31-year old won’t be eligible to play in the regular season until the Giants’ week 5 matchup against the Minnesota Vikings on October 6.

Tate, who signed a a four-year, $37.5 million contract with the Giants in March, has posted 611 receptions for 7214 receiving yards, and 38 touchdowns over a span of nine seasons and 137 career games split between the Seattle Seahawks, Detroit Lions and Philadelphia Eagles.

Continue Reading

Football

2020 Pro Bowl to take place in Orlando for fourth year in a row

Published

on

As the saying goes: if it ain’t broke, then don’t fix it.

The NFL announced Wednesday that the 2020 Pro Bowl is returning to the great city of Orlando at Camping World Stadium for a fourth consecutive year.

The event will be held a week before the Super Bowl on Sunday, January 26, 2020.

“We’re thrilled to return to Orlando for the fourth year in a row and bring the Pro Bowl experience to the city of Orlando, our fans, players and partners,” said NFL Executive Vice President Peter O’Reilly.

“We’re happy to provide not only a week-long celebration of football, but also to extend the celebration of the NFL’s 100th season throughout this year’s Pro Bowl.”

The Pro Bowl has been in Orlando since 2016 after a prolonged run at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii from 1979-2015 (with the exception of 2009 in Miami Florida, and 2014 in Glendale, Arizona).

Continue Reading

Football

Chargers general manager on Melvin Gordon’s holdout: “No, I don’t condone it. But I think he’s been pretty professional with his comments”

Published

on

Is Melvin Gordon going to become the next Le’Veon Bell?

The 26-year old running back has decided not to attend Los Angeles Chargers training camp, and will continue to sideline himself as a way to negotiate a long-term contract for himself.

Chargers general manager Tom Telesco spoke about the situation publicly on Wednesday. It’s safe to say he’s not exactly a fan of Gordon’s negotiation tactics.

“I’ve read a lot of the stuff. I think he’s been pretty professional with everything. Do I condone holding out? No, I don’t condone it. But I think he’s been pretty professional with his comments from what I’ve seen.” said Telesco.

“He’s an excellent player…He’s tough. Great work ethic. Represents the organization extremely well. But he’s not here. I understand his thoughts and opinions on what he’s going through. I always look at the player’s side. I can see it. Doesn’t mean I agree with it, but I can kind of see what his thought process is.” said Telesco.

Despite his feelings, Telesco remains hopeful and confident that they will be able to negotiate a long-term deal with the two-time Pro Bowler, and realizes his value to the franchise.

“I’m not naive: I know we’re better with Melvin Gordon,” added Telesco.

“My only thought process is he’s playing here…He’s an L.A. Charger.”

Gordon, who was selected 15th overall in the 2015 NFL Draft, has accumulated 3,628 rushing yards on 897 carries, 182 receptions for 1,577 receiving yards, and 38 touchdowns in four seasons and 55 career games.

Continue Reading

Trending - Popular