Connect with us

Sports

ATP Finals relocating to Turin, Italy from 2021 to 2025

Published

on

A major change is coming to the ATP Finals in a couple of years.

ATP executive chairman Chris Kermode confirmed Wednesday that the annual event will move from the 02 Arena in London, England to Pala Alpitour stadium in Turin, Italy from 2021 to 2025.

“Our congratulations to Turin on putting together such a comprehensive and impressive bid. Italy provides us with one of the strongest and most established tennis markets in Europe and has a proven track record for hosting world class tennis events with the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome, as well as the Next Gen ATP Finals in Milan.” said Kermode.

“We’re delighted to expand on our successful partnership with the FIT and Sport e Salute SpA and we look forward to bringing the ATP’s flagship season-ending event to tennis’s growing fanbase in Italy for the first time.”

Turin reportedly beat out other major cities on the shortlist including Manchester, England, Singapore and Tokyo, Japan.

London had been the host of the season-ending tournament since 2009.

Hockey

Jeff Blashill will continue to coach Red Wings despite horrific season

Published

on

Despite a dismal 2019/2020 campaign that saw them finish with a
17-49-5 record, the Detroit Red Wings don’t plan on making any major changes to their coaching staff. In fact, General Manager Steve Yzerman went as far as to give head coach a public vote of confidence.

“I have no plans on making a coaching change at this time,” said Yzerman on Wednesday.

“I think Jeff has done a good job. I think it’s been a difficult position. In his tenure here, the Red Wings [have been] in a rebuild…For the last two, three Trade Deadlines, the team has traded valuable players for future assets, and Jeff has, with his head held high, diligently worked hard, done a good job in coaching this team in a difficult situation throughout that.”

The 46-year old, who was initially hired to replace Mike Babcock as bench boss in June 2015, has made the postseason just once in his five seasons with the franchise, and has posted a combined 38.3 win percentage during that span.

Many within the game thought finishing with the worst win percentage in the salary cap era this season would be enough to signal the end of his tenure. But the Red Wings brass still has faith in his abilities to lead the team back to greatness.

Continue Reading

Football

Former NFL star thinks paying college athletes is ‘going to destroy some people’

Published

on

Reggie Bush had an incredible college football career that led to him winning the Heisman Trophy in 2005, which led to an eventful 11 seasons in the NFL. Despite his successful background, he admits that he has some concerns about the likelihood that college athletes will finally get paid.

“Guidance is the one thing that young athletes coming through the college system miss on so much…I missed on it. They’re about to start paying college athletes. This is something that has never been experienced before, and it’s going to destroy some people if their foundation is not in the right place.” said Bush in a recent interview with Playboy.

He believes that paying them money could lead to more serious issues, especially if players do not have the proper knowledge on how to handle all this newfound money.

“The one thing I wish I had early in my career is proper financial knowledge…I hired good agents, and I hired a good team. But I allowed that good team to make decisions for me. I’m not saying I’m going bankrupt, but if I had the proper knowledge back then, some things would be different.” added Bush.

“People just assume, ‘Well, you got all this money, so you’re good.’ It’s actually the opposite. The more money you have, the more danger you’re in, because now you’re a freaking open target for a lot of people. It’s a nasty world out there, and it’s about to get nastier”.

The 35-year old, who earned over $63 million in the NFL from 2006-2016, amassed 5490 rushing yards, 3598 receiving yards, and 54 touchdowns over 134 combined games.


Continue Reading

Baseball

Former star reliever Francisco Rodriguez looking to make MLB comeback

Published

on

The MLB season may be on pause, but that isn’t stopping a former reliever from his comeback efforts.

At 38 years of age, Francisco Rodriguez recently expressed his desire to return to professional baseball.

“In spite of the fact that I’m seen as being advanced in age, that is the goal. The injuries and the ups and downs have slowed me down. But I have the conviction, the hunger and I am completely sure I can accomplish it.” said Rodriguez

“Many say it’s impossible. Impossible was a child leaving the Barrio Kennedy (in Caracas, Venezuela) and succeeding abroad. If you had asked me 25 years ago if I was going to be one of the best five closers in the big leagues, I would have told you that it was impossible.”

The six-time All-Star hasn’t pitched in the majors since allowing four earned runs in one inning as a member of the Detroit Tigers during a 9-6 loss to the Seattle Mariners on June 22, 2017. He has enjoyed stints in the
Atlantic League of Professional Baseball and Mexican League since his last MLB appearance.

During his MLB career, he posted a combined 52-53 record, 2.86 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, 1142 strikeouts and coverted 437 of 513 save opportunites over a span of 16 seasons, 948 games, and 976.0 innings pitched split between the Los Angeles Angels, Milwaukee Brewers, New York Mets, Detroit Tigers and Baltimore Orioles from 2002-2017. He also holds the single season record for saves with 62 (2008), and won a World Series with the Angels in his rookie season (2002).

Continue Reading

Trending - Popular