Connect with us

Baseball

Mitch Moreland’s time with the Red Sox appears to be coming to an end

Published

on

After missing the postseason in 2019, the Boston Red Sox are planning to make some significant changes. One of those changes is expected to be at first base.

According to reports, the team is expected to part ways with veteran Mitch Moreland in favour of one of their younger more affordable options.

Breakout player Michael Chavis – who joined the team from Triple-A Pawtucket earlier this season due to injury and has taken full advantage of his opportunity – and prospect Bobby Dalbec are expected to be candidates to replace him at the position next season.

Moreland is playing out the final year of a two-year, $13 million contract he signed in 2018. He has suited up in just 87 games this season mainly because of lingering issues with his lower back and right quad. During that span, he has hit .246 with an .827 OPS to go along with 18 homers, 56 RBI and a 1.1 WAR.

Despite the uncertainty, the 34-year old doesn’t appear too concerned about the possibility of changing teams.

“I’m not really worried about it yet. I just want to enjoy this last week with these guys. It’s a great group. I’ll worry about the rest when I get there.” said Moreland.

Baseball

MUST SEE: Randal Grichuk robs Mike Trout of extra bases with incredible diving catch!

Published

on

The Toronto Blue Jays may have lost, but at least they made it entertaining!

Case in point: this incredible catch by Blue Jays outfielder Randal Grichuk to keep the game tied heading into the bottom of the ninth.

Continue Reading

Baseball

Blue Jays sign GM Ross Atkins to five-year extension

Published

on

The Toronto Blue Jays have locked their general manager up long-term.

The team announced on Wednesday that they have inked Ross Atkins to a five-year contract extension.

“Simply put, Ross makes the Blue Jays better” said team president and CEO Mark Shapiro said in a statement.

“I’m extremely pleased that he will continue leading our baseball operations group during this exciting era…as we continue to move closer to building a sustainable contender for years to come.”

Atkins, 47, has been with the organization since December 2015. During his time, the Blue Jays have made the postseason twice, and have going through a successful rebuild.

“Coming to Toronto with my family has enriched our lives in countless ways and having the opportunity to remain a Blue Jay is something I do not take for granted” said Atkins.

“I cannot wait to continue our pursuit to bring World Series Championships back to Canada and celebrate with our fans when that day comes.”

Continue Reading

Baseball

Extension talks between Anthony Rizzo and Chicago Cubs have stalled

Published

on

Anthony Rizzo’s future with the Chicago Cubs remains up in the air. And if you’re a fan of the team, you can’t be too confident about it after today.

According to reports, talks about a possible contract extension between the club and their All-Star first baseman have reached an impasse, meaning nothing will be done prior to opening day. This likely means Rizzo will play out the final season of his seven-year, $41 million contract extension and test unrestricted free agency this offseason.

The 31-year old, who has been with the Cubs since 2012 and won a World Series with them back in 2016, has posted a combined .274 batting average, .866 OPS, 228 homers and 744 RBI over a span of nine seasons and 1265 games with the franchise.

Continue Reading

Trending - Popular