Connect with us

Hockey

Kesler not expected to play next season after undergoing hip surgery

Published

on

Ryan Kesler will have to wait a long time before making his return to NHL action.

The Anaheim Ducks confirmed that the veteran forward will likely miss the 2019/2020 season after undergoing surgery to repair his injured right hip earlier last week on May 9.

Ducks General Manager Bob Murray isn’t even sure whether Kesler will be able to play again.

“At this point Ryan needs to think about his life and family,” said Murray.

“The pain he felt was significant, and we agree with his decision to have this surgery. While it’s unlikely he will play in 2019-20, we will support any decision he makes about his future playing career. He deserves the utmost respect, which he will receive from the entire Ducks organization as he contemplates his future.”

The 34-year old, who has missed 60 combined games in the past two seasons due to injury woes, is coming off one of his worst statistical seasons since coming up with the Vancouver Canucks organization in the mid 2000’s.

In 60 games, he posted just five goals, three assists, 48 penalty minutes, and a career-worst minus-19 rating.

He is slated to earn $6,675,000 a season with an annual cap hit of $6,875,000 until his contract expires following the 2021/2022 season.

Hockey

NHL looking at 8-9 cities that can accommodate “a dozen or so teams” in order to resume season

Published

on

The National Hockey League is working tirelessly to get everything back running again. And with those efforts have come a lot of possible scenarios.

According to commissioner Gary Bettman, the league has looked deeply into approximately eight to nine different hub cities that can host at least twelve teams at a time in a single location.

“We have been working very hard since we took the pause on March 12 to make sure that whatever the timing is, whatever the sequencing is, whatever physical ability we have in terms of locations to play, that we’re in a position to execute any or all of those options. There is still a great deal of uncertainty.” said Bettman while speaking at a digital keynote interview with Leaders Week on Monday.

There is still no timetable for when the league will resume.

Continue Reading

AHL

Leafs sign forward Adam Brooks to two-year extension

Published

on

The Toronto Maple Leafs locked up a depth player to a multi-year deal on Thursday.

The team announced they have signed forward Adam Brooks to a two-year, two-way contract extension that carries an average annual value of $725,000 at the NHL level.

The 24-year old, who was selected 92nd overall in the 2016 NHL Draft, had spent the majority of the 2019/2020 campaign with the team’ AHL affiliate Toronto Marlies, but did appear in seven games with the Leafs. During that span, he posted three assists and a plus-1 rating.

Continue Reading

Hockey

NHL commissioner expresses optimism that the season will resume

Published

on

Hockey fans have finally been given some optimism.

With a lot still to be determined about the future of professional sports in North America, the NHL’s commissioner is confident that things are heading into the right direction.

Speaking at a virtual town hall via the San Jose Sharks earlier this week, Gary Bettman explained why he is optimistic about the NHL season resuming.

“States are reopening, cities are reopening…And if we do the right things, I think we’ll be able to finish the season.” said Bettman.

Healthy and safety is the top priority for players and franchises, but there are also other details that need to be hashed out for an NHL comeback to be realistic.

“We would like to bring a conclusion to this season…It’s got to be fair, it’s got to have integrity, and if we have to do it over the summer on some modified basis, then we’ll do it on that basis.” added Bettman.

As for straight up cancelling the season, well don’t count on that.

“Canceling is too easy a solution. That means you stop working hard to do all of the things that we’re doing, and I ultimately believe that there will be an opportunity.”

The league has been shutdown since March 12th due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Continue Reading

Trending - Popular