- Manny Pacquiao confirms he will fight Amir Khan on April 23Posted 7 hours ago
- NHL upholds Antoine Vermette’s 10-game suspensionPosted 8 hours ago
- Ducks acquire Eaves for 2nd-round pickPosted 2 days ago
- Chiefs sign C.J. SpillerPosted 2 days ago
- Patrik Berglund signs five-year extension with BluesPosted 2 days ago
Canelo vacates WBC title
Middleweight world champion Canelo Alvarez has vacated his title in response to an ultimatum put forth by the WBC.
“I am hopeful that by putting aside this ticking clock, the two teams can now negotiate this fight, and (Golovkin) and I can get in the ring as soon as possible and give the fans the fight they want to see.”
Alvarez made the move in hopes of pursuing his bout with Gennady Golovkin on his own terms rather than the WBC’s who gave him 15 days to decide whether to take the fight or not.
Alvarez defended his title against Amir Khan on May 7th.
Golovkin is currently undefeated in 35 pro fights.